- Are You Ready for College Level English Class?
- Building The Right Environment For Study
- Causes of study stress and how to overcome them
- General study tips for new or returning students
- How To Deal With Study Stress
- How To Deliver A Speech To A Class
- How To Overcome Study Block
- How To Study In A Group
- How To Take Notes In Class
- How to Focus When Studying and Be Completely Prepared for Your Exam
- How to Study for an Exam, Without Cramming
- How to Work Together as a Group To Deliver a Group Presentation (General Tips)
- How to avoid study procrastination
- How to stay healthy for studying
- How to use the Internet to study
- Memory Tips For Studying
- Note Taking and Revision Tips
- Study Tips: Audiobooks and studying on public transport
- Three Essay Writing Tips And The Difference between Spoken English and Written English
- Common Themes in Literature
- Best Places To Study For An Exam
- Getting the Most Out of Your Studying Time
- How To Deliver A “High Distinction” Presentation
- Studying for a Science Exam
- Proper Ways to Take Notes When Reading
O Pioneers Study Guide
Error messageNotice: Undefined index: db43380 in include_once() (line 1 of /home/studygui/public_html/sites/default/settings.php).
O PioneersStudy Guide
A Viewing Guide for the 1992 Hallmark Film
- O Pioneers Study Guide
- O Pioneers Study Guide Part 2
O Pioneers is a novel by Willa Cather. O Pioneers is a story of the character Alexandra Bergson, the strong and determined daughter of a Swedish immigrant left to carry on her father's struggle against the harsh prairie lands of the West. She fights to keep her family together and sacrifices her youth and beauty to a lifetime of hard labor.
1. When and where does the story begin?
Winter 1883 Alexandra is 19
2. Where does a flashback take the audience to? (and when?)
3. Why does Carl teach himself to climb tall poles?
4. Why is Alexandra concerned about her father’s health?
5. Describe young Marie in the general store.
6. Who is Emil? What has gotten away from Emil?
7. What type of home do the homesteading Bergsons live in, in 1883?
8. What important promise must young Alexandra make to her ill father?
9. What does John Bergson make Alexandra promise? (3 things)
10. What is Carl’s talent, besides climbing poles?
1885 Alexandra is 21
11. Who is Ivar? When we first meet him, what are some of the first words out of his mouth?
12. Carl Linstrum’s family packs up and abandons their farm. Where does Carl go?
13. How is Carl like the seagull on Ivar’s land?
14. What decision does Alexandra make after making a trip to the “river country” ?
Summer 1899 Alexandra is 35 years old.
15. Who returns in a red dress once again? Describe her.
16. Who has Marie married? What clues do you have about that marriage?
17. Characterize the relationship between 21 year old Emil and 21 year old Marie?
18. When Marie playfully calls out, “Forgive me, Emil...forgive me,” what does Emil answer?
19. Observe the people at Alexandra’s dinner table/ What does this indicate about her farm?
20. Where is Carl planning on traveling to after visiting with Alexandra? Why is he going there?
21. What are Alexandra’s brothers, Oscar and Lou, worried about? What motive do they think Carl has for visiting?
22. “Wild things - they are much too happy to kill.” When and why does Marie say this?
23. Marie always seems to be wearing red. What does that color symbolize, and why is it an appropriate color for Marie?
24. Why does Frank Shabata think people are laughing at him behind his back?
25. What does Frank mean when he tells Alexandra, “She hides what is in her heart.”
26. Who does Marie blame for the “good times” being over? Why?
27. Why does Emil decide to leave Nebraska? Where is he going to?
28. Alexandra tells Carl that “people have to snatch happiness when they can.” How does this relate to her or anyone else in the story?
O Pioneers Study Guide Part 2